Tele Design

Tele Design
A rough design for this project

Monday 26 July 2010

Headstock Logo & Neck

Here it is:



I will glue this logo onto the headstock as a template, then using a router I will inlay it into the wood. I will then fill this routed shape with superglue and a dark sawdust. Once this is dry I will sand it smooth to create a dark inlayed logo.

As for the neck itself, I have decided to use a one piece maple neck, however I am still working out the mechanics of building one from scratch due to the truss rod. (A truss rod is a steel rod that runs the length of a guitar neck to counter-balance the tension from the strings, to prevent the neck from snapping in half). Large guitar companies have a machine that drills a large hole in precisely the right place for the truss rod to be fitted.

On a rosewood or ebony neck, the truss rod is fitted into the neck wood (usually maple), then the fretboard is glued over the top, allowing for plenty of space to fit a truss rod. However being that the neck for this project will be one piece of solid maple, there's a strong chance that I will buy a neck, and then shape the headstock myself. I cannot see any other way of achieving this task from scratch and I have my heart set on a maple neck. I still might change the inlays however and the headstock will be a custom shape.

-Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment